Membership at First Presbyterian
When you join First Presbyterian Church you are beginning a journey of faith that will help you discover the gift of Jesus Christ and deepen your relationship with God. All of the ministries and events that take place at First Church are part of our aim to grow as disciples. We hope you will join us on this spiritual journey.
If you are interested in exploring membership, stop by our church office, or talk with any of our Ushers or Pastors following worship on Sunday morning. You can also call the church office during the week,(931) 684-6541, as we would be happy to respond to any questions you may have.
The following three steps are designed to make becoming a member of First Presbyterian Church a clear process.
Step One – Expressing Interest Every Sunday morning after each worship service, please feel free to speak to one of the Pastors or Ushers just outside the Sanctuary or stop by the church office during the week to express your interest in joining.
Step Two – Public Profession of Faith
Four questions are asked every person who joins a Presbyterian Church:
1. Do you reject the ways of sin and evil - ways that separate you from the love of God?
2. Do you trust in Jesus Christ and accept him as your Lord and Savior?
3. Do you promise, relying upon the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes a follower of Jesus Christ.
4. Do you promise to be a faithful member of this congregation, sharing in its ministry through your prayers and your gifts, your study, and your service?
You will be received in one of the following ways:
- *Profession of Faith – for those declaring their faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior for the first time. (If you have never been baptized, you will be baptized.)
- *Reaffirmation of Faith – for those who have previously declared their faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior in another church.
- *Transfer of Membership – for those who are currently a member of another church and wish to transfer their membership.
Step Three – Recognition in Worship Once you have made your Profession of Faith, a date will be set for you to be recognized in worship.